2 Apr 2019

Nini's EVS story from Latvia


I am Nini and I was volunteer in Latvia, Jurmala. My project duration was 6 months and I want to evaluate my being here, project itself and want to share my experience and emotions to those who want to take part in this amazing experience of EVS.
My project started in August and me and another girl from Georgia came here to work in the youth organization called  Jurmalas youth and children initiative center. As it was summer and after school activities were not that actual at that time period, our organization gave as a task to work in the youth camp, where we designed different games and activities for children aged 10-15. our activities included indoor and outdoor activities on the amazing beach of Jurmala. I want to say a few words about the incredible beauty of Latvia. It is an amazing country, mostly valleys. Jurmala is quite big and long city along the Baltic sea. Beach is covered with white pleasant sand so in summer it is a great opportunity to swim, get sun ten and enjoy the weather. Riga, the capital city of Latvia, is very near to Jurmala (40min by train). It is the cultural center of Latvia as well. So if you want to buy clothes, go to the theater, or go to the cinema, it is better to visit Riga for that purposes.

Before I arrived here I saw on the internet that people are very shy and closed to new relationships in Latvia and I was little worried about that, but in reality, it is not the case. I think it is just a cultural difference. At first, you may feel that they are cold and closed but, it is because we Georgians are very outgoing and expressive. After some time you will understand that difference and make new friends.
During my project I had an opportunity to explore and travel around the country, I saw amazing places and made new friends. That is incredible.
I would say that everybody most tries EVS during lifetime because it gives a great competence. And gives you the opportunity to find out new skills in yourself, and all of it is a part of non-formal education, that means that you are learning through doing.
Till now I found out, that I can make perfect khachapuri without Georgian cheese, I am making dinner every day (that seemed impossible for me). I communicate freely in English and developed Russian skills as well. And yes, knowing Russian really helps here, because more than 30 % of the population are Russians.
When the school year started our responsibilities changed, our main task was to create new projects for youngsters and make publications about that.
I organized several projects here for youngsters: for example yoga class, psychology club, meditation lessons, Georgian language classes, board game night, Halloween party and I managed jewelry making workshops and Georgian food making class.

EVS is an experience that I will never forget and I advise you to try it and you will be amazed because what I wrote here is only one percent of what I actually experienced, what I actually learned about the new culture and most importantly about myself.
I want to say very big thanks to both of my sending and receiving organizations for supporting me in every phase of my project.







Nini's host organisation was Jūrmala Children and Youth Interest Center
https://www.facebook.com/JurmalasBJIC/

Project supported by Erasmus Plus programm - European Voluntary Service 



No comments:

Post a Comment