25 Mar 2020

What I achieved in Georgia

             Hi there! It's Hania, the Polish EVS volunteer from Georgian Youth for Europe. I can't believe it's been already six months since I started my voluntary service. It feels like I came here yesterday.... When I reflect on these six months, I have to say that it definitely wasn't a wasted time! I have learnt quite a lot... and I am still learning everyday. So this article will be about my learning outcome here in Georgia.
            First of all, the main reason why I decided to come specifically to this country (yes, it was my conscious, well-thought-out decision to come here) was the curiosity of Caucasus culture and willingness to improve my Russian speaking skills. I must admit that both of these goals are partially reached... I say partially, as I am still in the process of learning. Learning the culture is something that happens imperceptibly, gradually day by day. I am aware that happens inside me, and I try to facilitate this process by deliberately exposing myself on cultural factors. By this, I mean talking with locals, observing what is going on around me, paying attention to details that I normally ignore in the familiar surrounding (you can really notice a lot this way!), as well as reading local news and educate myself about the socio political situation in the region. Furthermore, I noticeably improved my Russian, and I am really happy about that. I try to use every opportunity to speak this language, even though it is not always easy to find Russian speakers in Rustavi. I often go to Tbilisi to language clubs and various events in Russian. Additionally, I learn 10 new words every day, read books and watch movies, and do exercises from a Russian book I brought from Poland. All of that help a lot to progress. Besides, I try to polish my English as well.
            I also got other useful skills here in Georgia. I learnt how to write projects of Youth Mobility (I even wrote one myself!). I discovered Canva, a very useful online tool to make graphics. Since then, I have been doing most of posters, flyers and cover photos needed in GYE. I started leading a new club – International workshop – during which I share my travel experience, but also educate about history, social, political and economical issues in different foreign countries. I find it very important to know what i happening in the world we live in, and now I am more aware about international social issues.
            So to sum up, thanks to my EVS experience I improved not only my language skills, but I also learnt a lot about the local culture, I learnt how to turn my ideas into action and I gained many social and civic competences. That's why I would like to recommend participation in EVS programme (nowadays called ESC) to everyone. You will not regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment