2 Apr 2022

Ana Dekanosidze - ESC Story from Lietuva

Hi everybody. I’m Ana, 25 years old. I’m doing volunteering in Lithuania, Telšiai. Telšiai is a small city with beautiful lakes.

I work with youngsters to help their informal socialization. This is a long-term volunteering program and I will stay in this country for one year which I believe, is a perfect opportunity to get to know this country well, expand my horizons and acquire new skills.

I studied Cultural Studies at University and that’s why for me it is extremely important to meet new cultures and people. While I’m staying in Lithuania, I’m learning Lithuanian language which helps me to understand this culture and people better.

Volunteering is about giving and being happier, however, it can be challenging as well - prior to my arrival here, I was thinking that I would interact with youngsters in English, however the reality partially met my expectation; A lot of them do not speak English at all and thus, that was a huge challenge at the beginning of my volunteering. That’s why, I decided to find other ways to interact with them: such as entertaining and educational activities to improve communication with them.

It has been only 2 months since I am here and I already overcame challenges I faced, made friends and gain a deeper understanding of myself and the world around me. ESC volunteering gives you an opportunity to discover new passions in a relatively less stressful environment and helps you to broaden your perspective in many directions.



No comments:

Post a Comment