7 Nov 2022

ESC in Rustavi - Laurin

Hello, I’m Laurin from Germany and I’m volunteering at GYE in Rustavi for one year. I have been here for already 2 months and so many great things happened already!

My tasks are mainly doing German conversation clubs for youngsters and young adults which I really enjoy, but also supporting ERASMUS+ youth exchanges by running energizers and get-to-know-each-other games and general support for the group leaders. The youth centre also offers other activities, such as national evenings or outdoor activities which I help with. In the future I will also assist teachers in one school for German and French classes.

Working with international people brings me a lot pleasure, it is so cool to have volunteers from different nationalities (although many of them are German) and Georgians and other European people. It helps to reflect on your own culture but also gives you so many opportunities to learn about other cultures.


I have already seen many different places in Georgia, I was in Kobuleti, Lagodekhi, Udabno, Stepanzminda and visited Tbilisi many times. What I like most about my voluntary service is that while I am doing a meaningful job, I still have enough free time to travel and explore the country. I’m so happy to be in Georgia because it is a completely new culture for me, everyone is so welcoming and the nature is incredibly beautiful.

Although I had some difficulties in the first weeks, I feel very lucky to have a safe place here in Rustavi where I can be myself as a queer person and have people around me who support me regardless of their nationality. I didn’t expect that, but I guess I’m generally surprised by the extreme comity of Georgian people, which certainly doesn’t exist in this form in Germany.

As I have just finished school, it is the first time for me to live in a foreign environment without my family for a longer period of time. I love my flatmates a lot, we support each other and have a great time together.

I’m very glad that I took this opportunity, there is no other place I would rather be than here now. 





No comments:

Post a Comment