13 Feb 2019

Jurmala, Jurmala, EVS in Jurmala



My name is Salome Mtchedlishvili and I done my EVS in Latvia. Everything has happened really spontaneously. In summer 2018 I started to reevaluate things that I was doing in my life, my profession, my environment, daily routines and I realized that I was canned in a very narrow frame, everything I was doing was boring, I wasn’t gaining anything new, my life routine was just stepping on one and the same place.

I started to think what could I do to change the situation. Started googling, asking friends, about projects abroad.  I wanted to go far from my routine, out of my comfort zone. Then I remembered about EVS, which I was thinking to do when I was in my early 20-s but then I started a full-time job, and have forgotten about this program. So, I have remembered about it and then I asked one of my friends, who has done it twice, where could I find EVS vacancies, she sent me several links of Georgian sending organizations. I started checking vacancies, I saw a vacancy in Jurmala, Latvia, it was about working with youths and it sounded interesting, because I already had some experience in working with youngsters as a private teacher.

So, I applied, sent my CV, motivational letter and application form. I didn’t have big hopes, because I thought that younger applicants would have had higher chances but, soon, in a week as I remember, they wrote me an e-mail about skype interview. The interview went really well and about int 2 weeks they wrote to me that I was accepted and adventure has begun from that moment…

1st of August. Me and Nini, second volunteer, started out voluntary work, which was joyful, interesting, fun, a lot of new people, new experiences, everything was new and different. During August we worked for summer camp, in Jurmala. We were planning daily activities for youngsters 13-15-year kids. We were playing on the beach, I and Nini taught them games we used to play when we were at their age. Summer was pleasant, sunny but not hot weather, so playing and swimming with them on the beach was not working but a long-term vacation.
At the end of August, I and Nini had on arrival training with other volunteers from all over Latvia. And I had an amazing 5 days. I met amazing people and made new friends there from different countries. Our daily routine was non-formal training, we were discussing the benefits of EVS, how to plan the project, how to brainstorm, how to communicate locals. We also made a project together in the local city, our goal was to communicate with local people and spread the positivity.  We made to boxes one, full of apples (Latvia is full of apples) and one full of wishes and we were giving pedestrians apples and wishes (wishes were written in Latvia ofc) these five days I spend there with other volunteers were one of the best during my voluntary work.

From September our office work has started, but it was fun as well. First of all, the office was so cool. Walls and ceiling were decorated with graffiti. We had a colorful couch and a football table. This place was a favorite place for youngsters and we had to make it more interesting by planning interesting events and activities. My first project was a Movie night club. We watched movies, ate popcorn and had fun together, it was kind of fun activity to cheer youngsters up after tiring school day. Sometimes I and Nini were collaborating and planning things together. So, at the end of October, we organized a Halloween party with a local school. It was so fun. We made decorations with our own hands.  Youngsters really liked it, and on the annual youth day it was named as the best event planned by our center and I am so proud and happy because of this.

During 6 months we have planned many small projects, such as DIY workshops, painting on jeans, a workshop about social media.  Also, I and Nini were involved in events which were planned by the center, mostly we were dealing with decorating events, which was really fun. Also, we were teaching Georgian language and once Nini made Khachapuri making workshop, the center was full of youngsters. My last and biggest project was a Photo contest, the theme of this contest was the breakfast club (named after the movie, with the same title) my goal was to make youngsters think about something really important, teenager life issues and think, how to visualize their thoughts. After announcing we had a movie night and discussion about key points of the movie. We had an exhibition of the work of finalists and awarding in Jurmala’s museum. All finalists received diplomas and the winner was awarded by Fujifilm Instax mini camera, also we wrote about him in the local newspaper.
You might think that volunteering is only about being in the city you have to do your voluntary work, but no… one of the best parts of volunteering is traveling around in the neighboring countries and inside the country, visiting other volunteers in their cities, meeting new people, having fun and memorable moments.

Salome's hosting organisation is Jūrmala Children and Youth Interest Center
https://www.facebook.com/JurmalasBJIC/

Project supported by Erasmus Plus programm - European Voluntary Service 




No comments:

Post a Comment