1 Nov 2013


First impressions - Coming to Georgia
by Eva Čajková

On the 1st of October, fate-destiny day for another 7 people, seemed to me kind of cutted. One moment in my home, my bed, with my family cut Vienna airport, all kinds of people cut Kiev airport, all kinds of stereotypical eastern elements cut high magic peaks which I've known just from kitsch pictures in my homeland. But yeah, guys, I finally believe that I will live in Gergia for a year... and I'm pretty sure that it will be a great time.

Moments before landing, only a few hundred metres above the ground, I still wasn't very calm. From my small oval windows, I could only see land, cows and a few woodden shelters. What's going on? Are we landing on a field? I've just tried to calm myself down by thinking about whether or not it would be a field of potatos or corn. It was concrete finally.

Before departure from Czech Republic, I was warned about culture shock. Well, it's quite impossible to avoid, everyone should have some, it's natural and actually it's quite a nice experience. My culture shock was like a big injection of adrenaline. My culture shock lasted just twenty minutes. My culture shock was the journey from the airport to our flat in Rustavi. Everything seemed more that good there were two very nice guys waiting for me on time (!) helping me with luggage. I finally felt the real Georgia: sitting in a car with a Georgian driver. After he drove for a few metres, I was wondering why I was telling my friends and family 'See you again', because I felt that I would definitely not make it out of the car alive. Believe it or not, after one week here I really enjoy the driving manners.

Our first weekend was really amazing. GYE (Georgian Youth for Europe in Rustavi) staff prepared a lot of fun for us. Already, on the second day they took us to pick grapes and afterward we took part in a real Georgian supra. Great teambuilding!

People here really seem to know how to live, how to enjoy life. Even though it's not easy here, often beeing without work, from time to time without gas, water or electricity, they are still such an easigoing, smiling and happy people as far as I've seen. I really want to be part of this culture for at least one year.

I am pretty sure that I'm speaking for everyone of the seven people when I say: We Love Georgia!


No comments:

Post a Comment