20 Jul 2020

Tamar Khachidze ESC story from Poland

My name is Tamar Khachidze and I am a volunteer in Opole, Poland. Thinking about new opportunities abroad and getting myself out of my own comfort zone have brought me here. It has been already 10 months since my arrival to this small and beautiful city in the southern part of the country.

My project, which I applied for months back, is all about actions for the common good, including supporting youngsters through non-formal education, exchanging cultures and  preparing the international atmosphere for the locals of Opole Voivodeship.

My first experience as a volunteer in my hosting organization started working for different schools around the region, sharing and presenting the Georgian culture, language and history of the country to schoolchildren. 

Later on, I started regular working for one of the innovative newborn local schools. For that time, I was working with disabled children, spending time with them, sharing my knowledge about different topics and participating in the development of their social skills.


Meanwhile, as the project started, with my  hosting organization and other international volunteers, I was actively involved in organizing and managing international meetings for the foreigners in  Opole. (Guiding them through the city, services, etc., Presenting an opportunity to meet each other and so on.) As a result, we have organized some of the biggest international events for foreigners in the city during Halloween, Christmas and Valentine's day.

As the pandemic period started, with the cooperation of a local foundation supporting education for seniors, we started having online English lessons for older generation as well as the cultural ones. The meetings are still on but for this moment we actively started having offline classroom lessons.

Luckily, my responsibilities for the organization was diverse as well as people and the multicultural level around. The period have been helping me to grow myself personally and see the world from different viewpoints. I have met a lot of people, heard a lot of inspiring stories and experienced a lot of useful things. I have gained skills for different topics such as, as mentioned, teaching, coaching, event planning, office working, social media marketing and so on, but most importantly, I have gained confidence to start new challenges, manage discomforting and hard situations, appreciate any kind of opinion and thought around and have a constant desire for improvement and development.


If people has a chance, they surely have to give volunteering a try, as they not only have chance to help others, but also make a huge progress out of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment