16 Apr 2020

The race for tolerance - 2 month volunteering in Romania


Couple of months ago, when me and my friend were walking as usually, talking, she told me she was going for volunteering project in Romania. I told her it was a good idea and thought to myself I would go to if there was a place in another one. Bless my luck because after one week she said, someone refused and there was a place for me. I immediately applied, got invitation letter, went to see our coordinator, signed and waited for the departure date and detailed information. I didn't need to wait long. After everything was settled, I informed my family, friends, we went to a goodbye party, packed a suitcase and went to airport.

We were ten, the great ten. Nine girls and one boy who soon became our best friend. From the very first moments I knew who would be living in my room and I did everything to make that happen. The flight was short and nice. After a road trip we were in the student's dormitory where we would spend two beautiful months together.
 

First week was the best. We met other people from our group: two Italians and ten Jordanians. Next day, we went to the office where we worked during the project, walked around the city, took millions of pictures, went to parties to check out the nightlife in Craiova, the town where we lived. It was awesome. Meanwhile, we had the introduction and brainstorming sessions with our mentor, got tips on how to work on the project and soon, step by step, we started.

Everybody had different background of education, culture and personal skills. That was the thing that was most attractive during the whole time. I was amazed how we could be so different yet so close to one-another. Some of us knew very little English but even that was not a problem because we would help in translating and I also discovered that friendship was like a Lingua Franca, a common language that kept us together.

During the project we participated in two major events: 1st December the 100th anniversary of Romania's independence and  Volunteering night on 5th December. The last one was very interesting, with lots of interesting people, organizations, volunteers, workshops, music, dancing and sharing experiences. Me and my friends did a workshop. We made bookmarks with printed design and gave them out free. It was nice because people liked and appreciated our work.


After the official working days were over, we got our second month allowance and some of us went to travel in another city, Brasov. It is an old town in Transilvania. We went to see Dracula's palace in Bran. Brasov was very beautiful. We kept walking and walking and couldn't get enough of that beauty. After that we came back to Craiova and spent there few more weeks , being young and carelessly free until we would say goodbye to one-another and went back to our home countries.

During that two months we grew a lot. For most of us, it was the first experience living abroad, living independently and volunteering too. We met amazing people, like our mentor, a girl who was even younger that us, incredible photographer and person; Our trainer, who shared so much light and positive vibes during just one week that we will probably remember her forever.
Well, of course we had some bad days, little problems but we were helped and guided by one-another to overcome obstacles and help ourselves become better, stronger individuals. I think, every one of us changed a little bit in a good way. As for me, a very introvert person, it was an amazing experience to help me open up, come out of my shell and learn how to adapt to unusual surroundings, factors, people. I learned how to be more adequate and less radical while dealing with people and work.

Now, it is almost one month since we left Romania. We, the members of the group still chat in our group chat every day, sharing all kinds of thoughts, pictures and videos, mostly saying how much we miss one-another. Some of us live in the same city and we meet on weekends to have coffee. I sit and write this story and if you ask me, was all this worth my time? Hell, yes it was. Would I try and go again? Oh, yes I would, I would for sure!

Dodo Bakuradze

Hosting organisation: Asociatia Explorator, Romania
Project funded by European Solidarity Corps


No comments:

Post a Comment