7 Apr 2021

ESC Story from Lithunia

Sveiki! I’m Tatia Meladze, 24 years old, from Tbilisi, Georgia. Since November 2020, I’m volunteering for European Solidarity Corps project in Vilnius, Lithuania. Within the project I’m working in the day center for adults with mental and physical disabilities. I’m here to support the visitors of the center, plan some spare-time activities and help them with their classes or with their daily needs.

Planning different activities, during Covid pandemic isn’t easy, especially when restrictions in Vilnius are getting stronger and stronger, but we are trying to think of as much various activities as we can.

Vilnius is very nice city. The weather is quite cold here, but when it’s sunny, the best activity is to walk in old town, or visit nearby forest-parks. Also people here are very nice and welcoming. Even if there is a language barrier between us, they try their best to show their benevolence, using just body language and mimics.

Being the part of the project for me means, getting amazing and diverse experiences. First of all, living with intercultural people is giving me so much knowledge about differences and similarities between different countries, cultures and people. It feels like I’m living in Lithuania and 2 more countries at the same time.

It’s already the end of my fifth month living here and I already feel that I’ve gained so much things. Firstly, the people I met and got friends with, experience of being independent, confidence, I tried myself in different things and found my hidden strengths, career related growth and very special thing – second family. It’s a whole new experience to start living with fully strangers, but the best part of it is realizing, that these people create a safe place for you, which you start to call home and they are the huge part of it.

I believe this project will make huge changes in me and will give me the kind of experience I will be proud and very thankful for, all my life!

Šiltų sveikinimų iš Vilniaus!




No comments:

Post a Comment