8 May 2020

Explore and acquire the culture of the country by traveling -ESC Bolzano

Ciao.. I am Teona Tvauri, EVC volunteer in Bolzano, Italy. With this letter I would like to tell you a little but about my voluntary project and my experience here in Italy. I am almost at the end phase of the project and since the current global situation, namely Corona virus that has touched Italy seriously for now volunteers are not allowed to enter our workplace.. Therefore I will talk about in the past tense.

To begin with, I start expressing what my voluntary work involves and what are the main duties there. My voluntary service in a nursing home, (Casa per anziani Don Bosco) involved activities in which me and other volunteers helped elderly people to socialize, to feel the place where they currently live as their own home and people who are surrounded as their family members. We were organizing many interesting events, carnivals, ice cream parties, indoors and outdoors, we were taking part in regional competitions, like Olympic games for seniors and so on. The life in a nursing home is busy and joyful which creates a positive atmosphere. I saw the importance of young's’ too in these institutions. We saw in their eyes how motivated they were to take part in the activities we were doing together. I am also aware about new attitudes and approaches on elderly with Alzheimer’s Disease where we were actively involved in activities like: music therapy, art therapy, gymnastics, pet therapy and so on. Besides communicating with elderly, my daily work with other volunteers was another experience... We shared the same work but different culture, languages. During this time I got more motivated to improve my language skills more. Friendly and open minded Italian made me welcome and free to communicate with them freely. Moreover the project gave me the opportunity to explore and acquire the culture of the country and its characteristics with the best way, by travelling. It was one of the attractive parts of my life here. I visited the places I studied in an art school, city of art, Florence, it’s museums and many other impressive places. To the end I add that this year and this experience in a whole will be one of the best periods of my life in which I grew up personally, became more independent, and I gained many other useful skills that we need for our entire life.



No comments:

Post a Comment