27 Jan 2021

ESC story from Lithuania - Tatia Meladze

 Gamarjoba / Labas

I am Tatia, 24 years old, from Georgia and I’m volunteering for European solidarity corps project in Vilnius, Lietuva.

Volunteering in “Covid-19 Era” is quite challenging and it is accompanied by many difficulties, but at the same time, it is once in a lifetime experience, which gives you a good lesson about life, especially during pandemic.

To make life-changing decision, as it is moving to another country for 1 year, isn’t always easy and it was just as hard for me to decide participating in a long-term project. However, I’m in Vilnius, already for 3 months and I’m very happy and proud to be here.

I am a volunteer at Day center for adults with mental and physical disabilities in Vilnius. Because of Covid-19, there is a lockdown in the country and volunteering is also very challenging. Because of restrictions, I can physically join works, at my center, just 2 weeks in a month, so going back to organization, every time, feels like starting everything from the beginning.  


My main responsibilities as a volunteer are: to help center visitors in every day needs, to help them during their classes, give them some personal attention (talk or play some games) and on their spare time we usually have some fun activities together, like: drawing, walking, listening to music, assembling puzzles, playing checkers and etc.
 
The visitors of the center, are the most loving, warm, open-minded, honest and kind people I’ve ever met. They love to spend time with workers and with us, volunteers. They are always ready and want to share their feelings, thoughts and especially their works, they’ve done during the day. Usually I get some presents from visitors. They love to give gifts, so I frequently get some paintings from them, to decorate my room.

I feel very excited and I think I am very lucky, that I have an opportunity, to spend 9 more months in Vilnius, to work with people, who love and appreciate their jobs and learn from them and to spend time with the loveliest center visitors and help them as much as I can.

Although my volunteering is going quite well, I still hope the pandemic will end soon and I will be able to explore more of the country, meet some local people, travel, work and enjoy my full-time volunteering experience.

With lots of love from Lietuva,

Tatia




No comments:

Post a Comment