30 Mar 2021

ESC Story from Lithuania

Labas! Me and my flatmate, Tamo, made a handmade poster "Don't talk about Covid-19 in this house" and we hang it on your door. This is how we tried to focus on good things and not on the global pandemic. But it's still hard to be a volunteer these days because everything is different and we all are just studying how to deal with it.

For me, my host organization is making this easier. Aiste and Vladas are doing almost impossible things. They have a lot of activities and they can give that motivation and energy to you too.

For example, we celebrated "happiness day" last week. We thought that it was international day, but next, we found out that Aiste "created'' it. We did a lot of funny things: danced, had interviews about what makes us happy, took pictures with balloons, etc.

I am working at Marijampolės Sūduvos gymnasium and we, me with Spanish Rodrigo, are the first volunteers at our school. We do activities, mostly online, but still, I feel like I am a member of their community and this is a thing, I am grateful for. I am grateful that I have the opportunity to talk to that bright, smart students, share a lot of things with them, share the history, culture of my country and listen to their stories too.

I always thought that phrase: happiness in small details was so boring. But now, in this month in Lithuania, I realized that it is how life works. Even rainy, grey days can be brightened by the smallest details: for example, when your Lithuanian guests like your Shkmeruli. When students are asking you interesting questions on the lesson. When you are playing Uno with other volunteers (even though I am losing it every time) Having local friends and walking around the town with them. sunshine, which we missed a lot.

Participating in ESC project is so unique and truly most amazing experience for me. and Lithuania is a country where I feel like I am at home.






No comments:

Post a Comment