11 Dec 2018

Do I need a title?



Karola Polish volunteer: "It’s kind of amazing how a coincidence can influence one’s life. I’ve been thinking about European Voluntary Service for a long time. I knew that right after finishing my master’s studies I wanted to participate in an EVS project but I couldn’t find anything suitable for me. But.. Seven months ago, accidentally I found an open call for a hiking youth exchange in Scotland. It was my dream to explore this wild country. And the second thing.. guys… hiking in Scotland – one of the most beautiful places on the Earth – can there be something greater than this? So I applied and luckily got in. During the project I met a crazy Georgian team. I was fascinated by their love for the Mother Nature.. One night, when we were taking in our tent about our future plans and dreams I told about my evs idea as well, and suddenly Nana – my tentmate said “You could come to Georgia! We are having an open call for a long-term EVS project now”.  Imagine my astonishment. But it’s not all. She happened to be the EVS Coordinator! Imagine! The decision wasn’t easy because I’ve never considered Georgia as a hosting country. The second part was that I knew practically nothing about this country. But… after 3 months I’ve already been on the way. Now after almost two months I cannot stand not eating khachapuri or drinking Kindzmarauli for longer periodJ. (I hope after one year I won’t end up as a khachapuri/wine-addicted ex volunteer). People are amazing, the hospitality, willingness to help and kindness as theirs is less and less common in Western part of Europe as well as in Poland unfortunately. They will help you even though you don’t know Georgian and they don’t know English But it’s also a country with well-known crazy transport system. You can wait one minute for a marshrutka or 20. But it’s okay, because Georgians have time for everything. They don’t rush. It’s also common that the drive stops on the road just to talk to his friend. You can stop wherever you want as well. But watch out for cars! – drivers are.. let’s say… a slightly careless. But don’t be afraid if someone hoots his horn at you. He most likely wants to say hello. And hitchhiking is also veeery easy and popular here. If you’re nice you can get puri just for a smile or additional bunch of herbs on a bazari (which by the way are amazing, you can get there anything you need, especially fresh fruit, vegetables, spices and cheese inaccessible in other parts the world, plus it’s a great opportunity to learn Georgian and realise how much you still need to learn). And even though I’ve been here for not a very long time, I feel like home. Maybe it’s because of Georgian friends and other volunteers around or the feeling that I don’t have to hurry, because there is always time for things that must be done anyway. Maybe it’s the nature which is amazing here – mountains are incredible, wild and breathtaking but my condition still leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe because I work as a volunteer and it’s what I wanted. GYE turned out to be a great non-profit organization. There are so many activities for youngster which can participate in language, artistic, IT clubs or weekly events. But what’s the best for me is that this NGO gives teenagers a great possibility to spend free time in creative and developing atmosphere. Georgian youth can come here and meet friends, participate in clubs but also get to know different nationalities, their cultures and traditions and develop language skills. It’s a safe place for them to develop themselves, evolve interests and talents which is very precious and so needful. That’s why I’m proud to do my EVS project exactly in Rustavi. So I guess in my case, coincidences even so small can influenced my life. It’s just because of this, difficult to name, atmosphere of calmness and joy of life I’m happy to be here."







No comments:

Post a Comment