10 Dec 2018

[The untitled article about my EVS life]




Oil field in near Baku, Azerbaijan
Aga Polish Volunteer: "I went to Georgia for full year. I choose  my project  via EVS database and was considering 3 different programs in three different countries including Georgia. And I have to admit – I’m happy that was accepted for this project in the fastest. 
Choosing that opportunity to live in Caucasus region was not accidental, Georgia was one of my top destinations so an offer to even live there for that long was a nice perspective.
I already knew that my life would change a bit for that pretty long period of time. And in fact, I wasn’t mistaken… What’s more, I’ve started being surprised in a different ways almost every day.
I remember a day of my arrival like it was a month ago – cold, snowy night – I said to myself ‘oh, damn, NO!’ because leaving Poland I was so happy to live in a place with at least a bit milder climate than it is in Poland, but I failed – in fact, I flown here in January! Ok, a weather was discouraging, but at the airport I was welcomed so warmly , that my perspective has changed very fast. Later it was even better. I didn’t even have time to miss my family and hometown at the beginning, adaptation process has passed very quickly – thanks to my flatmates and people around me. Also Rustavi, specially that older part of the city I found comfortable to live in. 
And that’s a way I would describe my further months here in Georgia. Roughly.

During those passed 11 months I experienced really a lot – together with flatmates I’ve traveled by hitchhiking all around mostly Georgia, even in a wintertime and even 7 people in a regular car (checked – doable!). Almost each holiday weekend  we spent above 1500 m.a.s.l. somewhere in a mountains camping somewhere wildly and cooking high-value dinners on a bonfire. Those hiking trips perfectly kept balance between working time at GYE and discovering Caucasus region. 
Working at organisation ‘Georgian Youth for Europe’ itself  was fun for me also because before I haven’t done any activities for children and youngsters neither teaching my mother tongue – that was challenging for me. But a friendly atmosphere in our office helped me a lot to go through that. Later on, I come up with an idea for my own workshops in which I felt a need to show importance of ecology and environmental protection and eco-friendly lifestyle . While travelling around Georgia I noticed that’s really important to make aware people of that issue because any change starts in a local community, so in us, can start at GYE association as well.
Currently my thoughts are more at home in Poland because I’m leaving soonish. But on the other hand gloomy autumn evenings make me feel nostalgic about this year spent here with people I met here, things I did here and surprises that happened to me here". 

Uplistsikhe - on the old walls



Killing hiking in Racha

Sunny afternoon in Yerevan (in February!)


































A trip to Dashbashi waterfall







No comments:

Post a Comment